Saturday 1 November 2014

Samuel's at Swinton Park, Masham

My apologies go to all the loyal readers of this blog for my recent inactivity. Mary and I have moved house, so have been rather pre-occupied for a few months. We haven't gone anywhere new or interesting in that time anyway.

My choice for a birthday meal this year was made after reading the top 100 restaurants supplement in the Sunday Times. This was number 4 in the top 10 Yorkshire venues - the highest rated one we hadn't already visited.

Swinton Park is possibly the grandest place I have ever been for a meal. It feels palatial in scale and for that alone is worth a visit.

We had the three course lunch:


Here's what we had:


Amuse bouche - Leek and Potato Veloute with Crispy Pancetta


Mary had Goat's Cheese


I had the Scallops to start


Mary went for the Squash main course


I had the Venison - possibly one of the most colourful main courses ever


Mary had the Apple dessert


I had the Almond and Vanilla - unfortunately overpowered by nutmeg. It was horrible. I left half of it.

Except for my almond dessert this was a wonderful meal. The service was excellent, the morning room where we sat before and after was a uniquely grand and comfortable room, and the surroundings in general made the event feel special.

With a cup of tea, an excellent pint of Black Sheep bitter, two coffees and petit fours, it came to £67. We both enjoyed it very much and will go again.

No comments:

Post a Comment