Sunday 6 July 2014

The Westwood, Beverley

This post is about one of those lunches when you have made no particular plans, but end up going to a wonderful restaurant that you have never heard of before. 

We were in Beverley having gone to the area to shop at Waitrose at Willerby. We fancied a Sunday lunch out so I looked on Trip Advisor. The Westwood was ranked No.1 in Beverley, above the Michelin-starred Pipe and Glass (at No.2). I rang to see if they could fit us in - they could.


It is in a part of the old courthouse next to the Police Station.

I don't normally publish a picture of the cutlery, despite the title of this blog. However, I do usually take picture or two, and I thought this cutlery was unusually elegant.



We decided not to have starters and both chose the beef. It wasn't the kind of Sunday menu that only has roast meats; there was plenty of choice. It was a beautiful roast sirloin, cooked pink and carved thickly. Chantenay carrots in tarragon butter, perfectly cooked broccoli, with excellent yorkshire pudding and horseradish crème fraiche, and Black Sheep onion gravy. It was the best roast we have had this year so far.



For dessert Mary chose the cheeseboard. It comprised Berkswell (sublime) , Mrs Bell's Blue and Flower Marie (both extremely good). I had guessed the first two were ewe's milk cheeses from their taste, but when I looked them up later I found that all three were.


I had lemon tart with toasted meringue and raspberries. It was as delicious as this could possibly be.




Service throughout was efficient, friendly and perfectly judged. With one tea and one coffee the bill came to £54. Not the cheapest lunch by a long way, but we haven't enjoyed a meal so much for a long time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment