Saturday 11 July 2015

1884 Dock Street Kitchen, Hull

I believe that the Daily Telegraph reported quite recently its opinion that this was currently the best restaurant in Yorkshire. Without knowing that, our friend Gary recommended it, saying it was the best place he'd been to for a while. We went for lunch at the beginning of June, and we've just been for lunch again. We agree with the Telegraph - we don't know of anywhere better at present.

This was our first visit:


 Mary had the soup, I had the Ham Hock:


We both had the pork, seen here with the little pot of vegetables:


For dessert Mary had the Strawberry Mess:


I had the Lemon Posset:

The coffee was superb, the best I have had recently (it is so often a real disappointment in restaurants). We enjoyed everything about this meal, the surroundings and the quality of the service. The pork with warm Caesar Salad was a revelation. My particular favourites were the deep fried battered anchovies. 

We liked it so much we went again. Forgot to take a picture of the menu this time though. Mary began with Baked Beetroot:


I had a venison pasty with white onion salad:



Mary's main was Lemon Sole with Prawns and Avocado, with a lemon mash:


I had Chicken Kiev with Carrots:



 For dessert I had Cherry Cheesecake with Chocolate Ice Cream:


I have long since stopped trying to describe what food tastes like. Every single thing on all these plates was a good example of what it was, and was a pleasure to eat. The seasoning was perfect throughout. The cumulative effect of all this is that we think it is an exceptional restaurant, and we hope to dine there in the evening soon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment